Information

Dog swollen hock joint

Dog swollen hock joint


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Dog swollen hock joint pain after 1.5 years due to the joint is stuck in the swollen, he has been given 2 injections of cortisone and 3 weeks ago he was injected in his leg, the first cortisone injection was about 2 weeks ago, and the 3 weeks ago injection was only 2cc, I believe the cortisone was not strong, I am quite sure that the swelling is due to his leg,

I can't stop looking at his leg, the joint was swollen and there are redness on his skin, he is not able to use his leg as the knee is in the locked position, we could not open it for 2 weeks, now it is opened and not able to move it , its been a month that his leg swollen and is not improved, he has been given 2 injections of cortisone (one month ago) , 2 injections of meloxicam (2 weeks ago) and 2 injections of tramadol (3 weeks ago), I told the doctor that he have to give stronger medication but he didn't, I am his owner and I think he has to be in danger because of the pain, the swollen leg is very painful to him , he eats but he doesn't walk, I am scared of losing him because of his painful legs, he is getting thinner and thinner, I am looking for the doctor but he can't find him, what can I do?

2 Replies

The doctor must be informed immediately so that a second opinion can be taken. He needs to see another vet who is more experienced.

What do you mean by the swelling is not improved? And the fact that he has been medicated does not mean that the problem has gone away. Many dogs will do strange things to avoid pain, he might not be walking at all to get away from it.

If he has been given a strong enough medicine to cause his leg to swell and he is having trouble moving it, the chances are that there is a more serious condition, for example he could have a systemic inflammatory condition.

What other symptoms has he been showing? If his appetite is okay, is he eating all that he is supposed to?

We used to work at my local vets, it's amazing how the more experienced vet will see something that the junior will miss. Sometimes we'd get a referral from the owners, when they know that something is wrong they know that their vet may not spot it.

You should look at this thread on the forum. Ask there for more advice.

The swelling and lack of mobility means something is wrong, the vet should find out what it is. It could be an infection, he should have blood tests and x-rays of his leg to find out what is going on, then he can decide on a course of treatment. But he can't do much to a leg that isn't moving, so without this information it would be a mistake to think that the vet could do anything.

As for the other symptoms, he may be ill in the evenings, which is an unrelated symptom that means he is less than well. It could be anything, he could have an infection, a tumour, a systemic inflammatory condition, he needs to see the vet for that. The more details you can give the vet, the better. He needs to know as much as he can, but don't worry about him, he won't know what to look for unless he sees you with him. He needs to see what he can do.

Ask the vet to bring you up to date, and have a look at the foot, especially if there is movement. There is a good chance it is a very common situation where the vet can give you information and let you know what is wrong, and if it is too painful for the dog to work with it then you could just let it go. We often recommend not to euthanise a dog with an injury like this, instead it can be taken to an excellent hospital and treated.

The vet will see something that the junior will miss. Sometimes we'd get a referral from the owners, when they know that something is wrong they know that their vet may not spot it.

You should look at this thread on the forum. Ask there for more advice.

Thanks guys! It is just really frustrating though. There is no doubt that he is in pain but it is hard to imagine him having a systemic infection. He is a great dog and the vets were going to operate but it is just so bad! He was walking on three legs today but it was very slow and I could tell that he was in pain.

The vet says that he will take an Xray for me but they can't do it on the vet visit as the surgery is meant to be a week later. It is going to cost a lot of money but I will just have to wait and see if he gets better.


Watch the video: Μήπως ο σκύλος σας βήχει; Μπορεί να έχει kennel cough (May 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos